Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Country Fried Steak

This meal is not good for you, it isn't healthy and it isn't in the slightest something you should eat.. that being said it tastes really really good! This is my oldest son's favorite meal of all time so every once in a while I like to make it for him. Home made always tastes better than the $10.99 platter at the local joint for the same thing. Not to mention when you are feeding 2 teen age boys you need 2nds!

It took me a while to figure out how to fry. It use to drive me nuts I mean really how hard is it to fry a piece of meat? I tried and tried with no luck.. then my dear friend clued me in. Here is the golden rule of frying.. don't mess with it! I was so afraid I would burn it that I was always messing with it, then I would end up with all of the lovely crust in the bottom of the pan and a naked piece of meat. Not good!

The ingredients
cube steak (today I used pork because that is what was on sale)
flour
eggs
panko
milk
oil for frying


If you want a good breading on your meat you need to do a few things.. first make sure your meat is dry please, the coating will stick much better.

Next set up your breading station... Dry -- Wet -- Dry In dry #1 I have seasoned flour. Sometimes spices burn so I find if you season up the first flour then you have the flavor but you don't risk burning the spices. So my flour is seasoned with salt, pepper, garlic, onion powder and sage.
In the Wet we have a few eggs and a splash of water beaten.
Dry #2 flour and Panko bread crumbs. (half and half)

So you take your raw meat...

and go through your dry-wet-dry station you will end up with something that looks like this.. Yummy huh?!? LOL
You will want to use a heavy pan, cast iron is good for this but I have far too big of a family and far too small of a cast iron skillet. So I used my big ol pan for this. Just make sure it is deep enough, you are going to have a good amount of oil.

Put enough oil in your pan to come halfway up the side of the steaks. Bring your oil up to temp over med heat. Once your oil is heated place the steak in the pan (away from you please so you don't splatter grease on yourself) then leave it alone... I would love to tell you just how long to leave it but I can't it depends on your meat, heat, ect... but when you see the golden sides (the same color you want in the end) and it releases from the pan easily then it is ok to flip...

do the same thing on the other side and you are almost there!

Once you have cooked all of your meat (doesn't it look YUMMY?!?)

discard most of your oil you want to leave a few tablespoons of oil in the pan. Return to heat and add a few tablespoons of flour whisk this and let it cook 2-3 min. lalalallala Ok time up??? ok you have made a rue! WOOHOO! look at you!

OK back to gravy... slowly whisk in milk until you have the amount of gravy you want. Then slowly bring this to a boil (whisking often please, you don't want to burn the milk!) Once you are at a boil, turn down your heat to low it should get to the consistency of gravy very quickly.



Once there just turn it off top your steak with it and sink your teeth into a good old fashioned home cooked meal! Of course you will not be American if you don't make potatoes with it.. check out the next post for the potatoes! Happy cooking ya'll!



No comments:

Post a Comment